Monday, May 23, 2011

Sunday, and My List of Bristish-isms

Sunday my roommates and I decided we had had quite a bit of excitement, and took the day to sleep in. Way in. We woke up around noon. Cait and I went for a run around Regents, we ate some food, cleaned our room (you'd be surprised how messy it can get in a week. We are three girls you know.) And we also did something very, very exciting. We booked a student tour of Paris for this weekend, and a trip to Dublin in June. I simply cannot wait to go to both places!

And now, I'd like to make a list. Anyone who knows me well knows I makes lists all the time. To-do, to-buy, to-pack, to-wear, to-wash, to-find.... I make them on post it notes and napkins, in the middle of notebooks, on my cell phone, on my computer. Everywhere really. So, in the spirit of my complete OCD, this is my list of British-isms. Enjoy.

British-isms:
1) When you go to a restaurant, and you're trying to save money, and you order water, you have to say TAP STILL WATER. Even if you say still water, as opposed to sparkling, they will charge you for water that comes in a fancy glass bottle. And they will charge you for your fancy still water. It's a crime, if you ask me. 
2) Even if you get the fancy schpancy water, you won't get ice. Ice is a delicacy. Even when you get a diet coke from the Refectory (cafeteria) on campus, there is no ice machine. 
3) Cheers = thank you, cheers also = you're welcome.
4) When you go to a restaurant or pub, you walk in, find you're table. Go to the bar, order your drink. Get your drink. Look at the menu. Go to the bar. Order your food. They will then bring your food. Waitresses have it easy. 
5) Which brings up the fact that, I don't tip here. The servers make full wages without the tip. You tip if they do something extraordinary, and only then.
6) British people don't wear sweat pants. Unless they are exercising, in which case they wear very cute sweat pants. I am convinced these people go to sleep in their suit jackets. Students wear heels to class, boys slick back their hair with excessive amount of hair goop. They also wear ties and jackets. To class. 
7) British people speak in the front of their mouth. You can tell a Brit from an American without hearing them, by watching their mouths.
8) The money system here makes no sense. They have 1 pence, 2 pence, 5 pence, 10 pence, 20 pence, 50 pence, 1 pound, and 2 pound coins. That is a plethora of coins. No 1 pound notes, but 5, 10, 20, and 50 pound notes instead. I'm not sure about 100 pound notes. Notes are paper money.
9) Shop workers will tell you how to pay. If, for instance, you want to pay with notes because you want coins in return, to pay for laundry, and they don't like that, they will tell you. 
10) British people drive three types of cars, or sometimes a combination of the three. A) Small B) Expensive C) Piece of rubbish. Oh, and D) I suppose, Taxi.
11) Rubbish = trash


And that, ladies and gents, is my list. Ciao!

1 comment: