Sunday, May 22, 2011

Abbey Road, and Jack the Ripper

Yesterday, I did my favorite thing in London, ever. Alex, Caitlin, and I went to Abbey Road, where the Beatles took their famous album cover, and Abbey Road Studios where they recorded. I. Almost. Peed. Myself. I was so, so, so excited.  We walked there, and it took about a half an hour to do so, but it was so worth it. 

The wall there is covered in signings, quotes from songs, pictures, everything. I signed it. Does this make me a juvenile delinquent? I'll accept that title if it does, because I don't care. I walked where my favorite artists of all time walked. I could never be happier. 



 See the profiles of the Beatles, and the yellow submarine?
 AND THIS, is my name. Sideways, on the wall. By the Abbey Road cross walk. Bloody beautiful, eh?

We then had lunch at a Thai restaurant, which was in a British Pub. Mixing the cultures there, but it was a nice touch. This was my meal:
 Does it look tasty? Because it was. I wish I had leftovers right now, I'm a wee bit hungry.

Later that night, we did some more walking, on the Jack the Ripper Tour.  It was a bit dramatic getting to the Aldgate East Underground station, as they are doing some construction on the underground on weekends. But we made it! And it was soooo interesting.  Jack the Ripper, well he was not a nice person.  He literally tore his victims apart, leaving their entrails over their shoulders. Gross. This street, in Jack's time, was known at "The Worst Street in London Ever," as it was sooo dangerous.  There were 1,000 people living in just this little block, and they were incredibly poor.  It was here that the most gruesome of Jack's murders took place. 
 It doesn't quite look the way it did back the, I'm sure. 

This bar on the corner was frequented by his victims. Oh, and these homes. They are original to the area, they were built in the 1700's.  Often used in movies and such, they go for about 3 million pounds today. Yikes. 


See that bar right there! Neato, huh?

Welllll, I just booked tickets to Paris, and Dublin. I think that's enough activity for tonight. Sweet dreams, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment