Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Answer!

Well Bethany tried to guess the riddle, but she was incorrect.  The answer to the riddle is the Tower of London.  Crows are a distant relative to the raven.  Six ravens must always live in the Tower of London, or the Tower and kingdom will fall. This legend started when King Charles II insisted on protecting the ravens. His astronomer however didn't like them much, as he said they got in the way of his studies in the White Tower. Today their wings are clipped so they don't leave, but I think that is a bit like cheating. 
Here is a picture of my friend Nick and I, in front of the castle. Because really it's not a tower, it's a castle. 
 Oh, so the answer to the rest of the riddle. Cattle is beef, and those who consume cattle are beef eaters, thus a beefeater. I didn't get an actual picture of a Beefeater guard at the palace. But here is a picture of a one of the fuzzy hat guards.  He was standing outside the tower that housed the Crown Jewels. Sorry he is sideways, I need to figure out how to flip pictures (really you all should just be proud of me for figuring out how to have a blog. This is a major feat for me!). 

Beefeaters are named such because they used to guard the king, and stand near enough to him at feasts to eat his beer. But their real name is yeomen. 

The Crown Jewels were brilliant.  I was not allowed to take photographs inside, but let me assure you. They were fit for a king! Haha! The golden robe worn by the royals during the coronation is twenty pounds in and of itself, plus the crown is another five or six I would imagine.  Plus they hold scabbards and orbs and pearl wand thingys. I watched the video of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II being crowned.  Let me tell ya, it's an ordeal.

An interesting fact for you, the jewels in certain crowns have been recycled from other crowns.  I don't quite remember which queen it was, but she didn't like the old crown, so she took the jewels from it and made one more to her liking. Gotta keep your style in check, I suppose.

At the Tower of London, I actually met up with my friend Jess from Edwardsville.  She planned a tourist trip with her friend from Boston way before I had even considered coming to London.  We had dinner together last night at the Albany on Marylebone, and we plan on seeing each other tomorrow as well. I mean, this girl is my best friend.  How neat is it that she is here??

 Notice our food? Those are Wensleydale tarts. Basically, a little pie crust with cheese and onions, peas and asparagus on top with some leafy stuff, and cabbagey potatoes. Not necessarily something I would eat in the U.S., but hey. When in Rome do as the Romans do, and when in London eat what the Londoners eat.

On Monday my social history class went to Spencer Class. Anyone know a famous Spencer? You betcha, Princess Dianna herself.  The First Earl Spencer built the house in 1756 (and completed in 1766) to entertain guests. It was beautiful on the inside, but of course I couldn't take pictures. That's usually how it goes.  But here! A link for you! http://www.spencerhouse.co.uk/ That's where I was, folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment