Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hyde Park and The Princess Dianna Memorial

On Friday Caitlin and I woke up and took a (very) long stroll down Baker street (yes, where Sherlock Holmes made his residence) to Oxford, and then to Hyde Park.  Our final destination: the Princess Dianna Memorial fountain.  The park itself was beautiful, lots of trees, a man-made river called the Serpentine.  I even saw this swan! There are so many birds here, pigeons and ducks especially.  I love when we find the occasional swan. This one was particularly active on the Serpentine. 
 This is a bridge over the Serpentine:
 Ok I lied, thats not the bride. I don't know what that is. Besides me.  That is me. Hmm, I'll have to look for the bridge picture I suppose.

Here are some pictures of the Memorial Fountain. Caitlin and I discussed how it was kind of plain, and ordinary.  But I understand that Princess Di loved children, and there were certainly many playing in that water when we went.  So I guess it serves its purpose well. 



The simplicity of it is kind of beautiful I feel. 

Here is a picture of the arch at the entrance of Hyde Park, and I believe this is the bridge at the Serpentine. 


And we finished this day with food. We got waffles with fruit at the stand outside the Underground, then booked it over to Chinatown in Soho, off the Picadilly line. Here is Cait with her waffle, it was delicious. 


 The bottom two pictures are of China Town.  I don't know if you can tell, but that bottom picture, is dead ducks. Yes. Ducks. It looks like they take them, pluck them, and deep fry them. The heads and beaks were still in tact. If you know me at all, you know that I would think that is absolutely disgusting. So, naturally I took a picture of it. 

The menu in the Chinese restaurant is a bit different than in America. No crab rangoon. No fortune cookies. No Lo Mein. We still found tasty things to eat though, no worries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment