Thursday, June 9, 2011

Week Four, The Week of Food and Productivity.

I'm currently sitting in the library here at Regents, one of my new favorite places simply because I have been forced to spend a great deal of time here recently.  I know, I know.  It's called STUDY abroad, I get it. I'll have you all know, I just finished my 1,000 word source analysis on leisure and pleasure in England during the eighteenth century.  Sounds a bit dry, but I do love history.  I'd rather write about history than quantum physics any day. Haha.

On Tuesday I walked with some friends to Buckingham Palace.  Iwould have to give some points to the French if I was going to compare and contrast palaces.  Le Chateau de Versailles was much grander with it's gold ornaments and ginormous-ness.  I guess you'll have to see for yourself though. 
 I kept a keen eye out for Prince Harry, but he was no where to be found.  Better luck next time, I suppose? 


We then walked east towards Big Ben and Westminster.  I really would like to go back to Westminster and go inside.  The Parliament is held in the building attached to Big Ben, and across the street is Westminster Abbey where the Royal Wedding was held.  There is still a great deal of hype here about that event.  I wish now I would have gotten my sorry butt out of bed to watch it. 

After we walked around for a bit, we stopped at a Spanish restaurant to eat.  I ordered one tapas.  Note to self, order tapas with rice, and order more than one! It was delicious, but literally consisted of five shrimp.  Also, in Europe shrimp are not shrimp, they are prawns.  I know what to look for! 


Wednesday Caitlin came back! It's so good to have her back in London.  We went out to eat a Portuguese restaurant to celebrate her return, and guess what.  I ate a chicken.  Well, Alex, Caitlin, and I ate a chicken.  Yes, then entire chicken, with bones in it and everything.  If you know me, you know that this is not a common occurrence.  I usually stick to animals from the sea, not ones with legs and fur and feathers.  It was delicious though! I wish I would have taken a picture.  The spices were rather intense, but I like my food extra spicy so it was nice.  Especially compared to English food, which can sometimes be kind of bland.


The English really do not like condiments with their food.  If you have a croissant for breakfast in the refectory, they will charge you 50 p for your jam or butter.  If you want Parmesan for your pasta, they will charge you.  I think it's a bit ridiculous, but.  That's how they are I suppose. 


I will definitely miss the samosas here when I go home.  I buy them from the tube station snack shop; they're a little Indian pastry filled with spicy vegetables and potatoes.  I also really love the waffles with fruit I can buy at the tube station.  I get one for dessert occasionally. It does look good, right??


I have been very, very productive this week.  Like I said, I just finished my source analysis, I completed reviews for the field trips I have been on, and I have decided on a topic for my psychology research paper.  I get to put lots of check marks on my to-do lists (I do have multiple, because I am OCD. Leave me alone). 


The Seven Spectacular Sisters are taking on Dublin, Ireland tomorrow.  We leave the school at 3:45 a.m. by taxi, take a bus to the airport, and catch a 45 min plane ride to Dublin.  We don't have a guided tour this time, so maybe it'll be a bit more relaxed and easy going.  We plan on drinking some Guinness Beer, and trying to take a trip to the Irish countryside.  Maybe I'll fall in love with an Irish man like in P.S. I Love You? I mean, I'd be okay with it.  I have found that when I meet Irish people at pubs here in London, they are incredibly difficult to understand.  Oh well!


I'll check in with you all on Sunday when I get back! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment