Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Clink Museum, and Westminster Abbey

Yesterday, after much postponing, Alex, Caitlin, and I FINALLY went to the Clink Prison Museum.  I have wanted to go since I heard about it from my cousin Brittney, who went when she herself was in London.  It is built on the original site of the Clink Prison, which dates back to 1144, making it the oldest prison in London, and maybe even England.  There were all sorts of torture devices, evil looking wax figures depicting guards, scary lighting, ominous music.  I loved it. Alex was scared. Tee hee. Here is a link for Clink, if you want to read up on the history and see if you recognize any names of inmates.  There are ties to Clink between the Gunpowder Plot, Babbington Plot, religious turmoil, and much more.  A lot of people believe that they have seen paranormal activity in and around the prison, but I'll let you decide for yourself what you think about that.  I myself had no problems with the dead, undead, or spirits of any sorts.  Unless of course you count when I jumped out from behind a corner and I saw Alex's face so pale it looked somewhat ghastly and kind of ghost-like. Ha. 
http://www.clink.co.uk/ 






 The first picture is of a thumb screw, and it sounds exactly like what it is.  You stick your thumbs in there, and then they screw your thumbs till they break.  This supposedly prevents any more theft. Ouch! The metal boot in the second photo is not a fashion statement.  One would put their foot in the metal boot, and then wooden boards would fit in around your ankle and foot.  They would then fill it with water and oils to make the wood swell, crushing your foot.  They were all business about the torture back then, as you can see in the third photo.  They got me! 

After we went to Clink, we walked to Westminster Abbey.  It really is gorgeous. I think we may try to attend a service there on Sunday, before we see Romeo and Juliet performed by the Royal Ballet. THAT ladies and gentlemen, I am very excited for! Here are some pictures of the cathedral. 


I have eleven days left. Be prepared for extreme blogging, I'm cramming as much into that time and money will allow. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joselyn,

    I am a fellow blogspot user. I'd like to use your photograph of the copper boot in a humorous post about medieval torture devices. I'm going to cite you and post a link to your blog on mine. You can check out my use of your picture here:

    supersillyous.blogspot.com

    Let me know if you have any issue with this.

    Thanks,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete