Friday, June 17, 2011

The Natural History Museum, and Brighton

Yesterday Caitlin and I wanted to go to a museum.  We thought we would check out the history museum we had heard about near the Victoria and Albert. Well, it was a history museum, it just did not have displays about historical events. It was the Natural History Museum.  From the moment we walked in the door, all I could think of was this movie:
Anyone seen it before? It's kind of really great, and terrifying when you're young. 


There were all sorts of fossils, creepy stuffed dead birds, pickled ginormous fish.  I really liked the fossils of the sea dinosaurs.  When I was younger those were my favorite.  I have this whole philosophy that the Loch Ness Monster was in actuality a Plesiosaurus that got stuck after the loch was formed by an earthquake or something. Yes. I am a nerd. At least I own it. 


Here are some pics of what I saw, and the outside of the museum. 





 Afterwards, we walked home in the drizzle.  I bought three nectarines from a street vendor for a pound, and because Caitlin and I are cute he threw in an extra for free. Haha, or at least, we're telling ourselves it was because we are cute. I really miss fresh fruit.  The English eat a lot of really heavy, hearty foods.  I tend to eat a lot of lighter, meals.  Actually, I'm not even going to lie to you. I'm actually a rabbit. I survive on fruits and vegetables,  pasta and fish.  I'm ready for my diet to be back to normal. Also, coffee.  With Coffeemate french vanilla creamer.  I can't wait for that either.


Today I went on an all day field trip with my history class to Brighton.  And friends, here is where I admit to you that sometimes I am a very stupid woman.  I debated on wearing my rain coat, or my leather jacket. I decided to wear my jacket, because I didn't want to have to carry my rain coat if I got hot.  I debated on wearing my boots or my chucks, and decided on chucks because I hadn't worn them in awhile.  I wrote a note to remind myself to bring my umbrella, and still forgot it.  Needless to say, it monsooned on us.  I was drenched, my feet were wet, and my umbrella was 45 minutes away. I guess I learned my lesson?


Brighton was really neat though, despite my misery.  Its on the seaside, and there is a rock beach.  We also toured the Royal Pavillion, which is a castle built by King George III with a lot of Indian and Chinese influence.  It was incredibly beautiful, so naturally I wasn't allowed to take photos inside.  There could be a line graph drawn depicting the likelihood of  photographs being allowed to be taken.  The prettier something is, the least likely it is.  True story.







The second picture in there shows the Kiss Wall, displaying how Brighton is a culturally diverse and socially accepting city.  It is in fact the gay capitol of Europe, which I think is really awesome.  It is my opinion that everyone should be able to openly and freely love whomever they choose. I guess the fact that I'm a dance major at a liberal arts college will influence me like that, huh? 

And now, ladies and gents, I will typing my paper.  Hit me up on facebook if you want, because when I say typing my paper I mean I'll be sitting with my computer on my lap pulling out my hair and wishing I was doing anything else.



No comments:

Post a Comment