Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Bunch of Craic

Ello Mates! I just got back in from Ireland this morning.  Really, you are lucky that I came back to England.  If I would have had my way, I would still be there sipping Guinness with old Irish men on the peninsula of Howth.

On Thursday night I went to bed around 9:30 p.m., as I had to wake up at 3:00 a.m. to catch the bus to the train station.  We got to Dublin at around 10:30 a.m., but the flight was really only about forty minutes.  It just takes a really long time to go through security.  I actually got stopped by security, and was touched by a security women in a way I hope to never be touched by a woman again.  But hey, I'd rather them be safe rather than sorry.

When we got to Dublin, we walked around a bit finding our hostel.  I was the one who had booked it, so I was a bit nervous about everyone coughing up the money so it would clear my credit card.  But the seven sisters came through, no worries.  We had a single room for eight people, with four bunk beds.  Our friend Nick from Chicago who is here studying at Regents decided at the last minute he would risk traveling with seven girls, and he ended up being our eighth person.  He was seriously living in the estrogen ocean. Below is a picture of our hostel, Isaac's Hostel.


We walked around after we dropped our stuff off, and took a tour of the Guinness Brewery.  I had never had a Guinness before, but won't lie to you and say I wasn't intimidated by the thick, chocolate milk-ey look of the stuff.  It was interesting to learn about the brewing process, and they gave us a free beer.  I also poured my own beer from the tap... I kind of failed at that, I was trying to smile for the camera and not spill at the same time.  Don't expect me to be your bartender anytime soon.


Do you see my mustache from the froth? It was okay, I drank another two Guinness while in Ireland simply because in the pubs they were the cheapest.  I guess it didn't kill me.  Seriously though after you drink one, you feel like you've eaten an entire loaf of bread.  I was not hungry in the slightest. 


After the brewery tour we cleaned up a bit and got dinner at a pub around the corner from the hostel, O'Sheas.  I had fish n'chips again.  Americans don't know how to do fish like that.  Although I do look forward to some nice fish from Grandpa's fry daddy when I get home, it just won't be the same.  


Erin, Nick, and I thought we would take our chances in the Temple Bar area of Dublin that night.  It was... interesting.  I'm glad Nick is a big strong guy, because it seemed a bit shady.  The pubs were very cool, but I was tired (I HAD been up since 3:00 a.m.), and they eventually tuckered out too.  I slept well that night for sure.


On Saturday we took a train out to Howth, a small peninsula outside of Dublin.  I loved Howth soooo much better than Dublin.  It was much cleaner, and less touristy.  We took a little hike up the cliff walk, and I really never wanted to come down.  Something about standing on the edge of a grassy green cliff looking straight down at mossy green rocks get washed over by greenish-blue ocean water made me feel so alive and free.  I could have flown off with the seagulls I think.  I realize this sounds incredibly cheesy, but friends.  I swear. You have no idea. 

The Irish people are very kind, and incredibly friendly and helpful.  I enjoyed talking to people simply to listen to their accents.  Maybe I should marry an Irish guy? I could put in an ad like this perhaps:
Wanted: Dark red headed Irish lad with straight teeth (these are hard to come by in Ireland, I noticed) who loves watching ballets and American girls with big dreams.  
I don't think it should be too difficult, right? 









I just really cannot wait to go back.  I want to spend weeks in Ireland, not two days.  Or at least a week.  This trip was much different than Paris, more relaxed and beautiful in a natural way.  Paris was amazing, and I want to go back there too. But geez. Holy Ireland. Take me back, Erin Go Braugh!


I should talk about the street signs, they have them in English but also in Gaelic.  Gaelic is definitely a dying language, and I didn't hear anyone speaking it.  But it was beautiful to look at, or at least interesting. 


I bought a few gifts for people in Ireland.  Mom and Daddy, this spoils your surprise, and I'm sorry, but I want to tell people.  Fair warning though, if you don't want to know your presents from me, don't read this paragraph.  There was a store that specialized in family names, and would print you a nice parchment of paper with your family crest and history on it.  I got one for dad, as his mother's maiden name is Quillen.  It's pretty interesting.  And for my mom I got a celtic cross pendant necklace, which I thought was pretty cool.  And I bought myself a claddagh ring, the traditional Irish symbol of a heart being held by two hands.  If you wear it on your right hand with the heart pointing away from you, then you're single.  That's how mine is, if you're out there reading this Future Red Headed Irish Husband. 


And now I have two weeks left in London to cram in all the things I want to do still. It's going to be a race against time, that's for sure! 


Oh, by the way, in Ireland craic is fun.  I found this out talking to a cute old man in the airport.  If you have a bunch of crack, you're not getting drugged up.  You're having the time of your life.  And I did do that in Ireland my friends, it was fantastic. Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment